Saturday, March 12, 2011

Contentment

Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.
                                                                              Philippians 4:11


I look forward to my first sip of coffee in the morning. I enjoy smelling it and wait with great anticipation for it to finish brewing. This morning, as I savored the aroma, Jim came in and asked if I had made one cup or two. I told him only one, because he was not eating breakfast at home, but if he wanted it, he could have it.


At his suggestion, I simply added more coffee to the grounds already in the basket and made my cup. Bad plan. When I finally got my first sip, the coffee was bitter. 


So as I grumbled about my bitter coffee, I read Paul's words about being content with whatever I have and was jerked back to face my attitude. I was sitting in a comfortable house with moe than adequate food and clothing, cars in the driveway, and lots more stuff than I really need. I should be content, but I was grousing about a cup of hot coffee on a cold morning that didn't taste quite like I expected. 


I suddenly felt very self-centered and spoiled. Halfway around the world, Japan is reeling from an earthquake and tsunami, in Warner Robins a family has lost two children to a car wreck, and in my own community, people are hungry and homeless.


It's day four of Lent, and I realize that I have much farther to go than I can hope to travel in forty days' time. Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner.

1 comment: