Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Knowing Who We Are

Colossians 3:12-17 was one of the lectionary readings for this past Sunday, and it packs a lot in a few verses. In fact, verse 12 alone is powerful: Therefore, as God’s choice, holy and loved, put on compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.


It’s easy to overlook the first part of this verse and focus only on the traits listed. However, considering just the first part of this verse is powerful and awesome and humbling: God’s choice, holy and loved. That is who we are! We are God’s choice. We are holy and we are loved. If I could really believe and accept that about myself, then living out the traits of compassion, kindness humility, gentleness and patience become easier because I know who I am and am left with nothing to prove. Who I am and whose I am is settled. Who you are and whose you are is not open for debate. You and I are loved, holy and chosen.

What if we began 2013 with a mission to accept that for ourselves and then, to accept it for others? How would it really change us if we know, really know, that we are chosen, that we are holy and that we are loved?

Say these three sentences to yourself:
  • ·         I am God’s choice.
  • ·         I am holy.
  • ·         I am loved.

Just to know this is enough. What a way to begin a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment