Thursday, March 3, 2022

Blackbirds

 

Settled, at least for now, in the act of feeding, 
birds blanket the ground, their chirps and cackles 
drench the morning air with sound. 
I could not count them if I tried, the volume 
and their movement muddle any hope of totalling. And why 
would I want to count? Better to stand in awe, 
witness to abundance, communion, energy of life. 
Enjoy the gift, marvel at the scene, for it is fleeting. 
A sound, movement, something I don’t sense, disturbs, 
in a flurry of sound, a thousand wings lift the mass 
into the sky. I stand, agape, in the silence they leave behind, 
 recognizing the place I stand as holy ground, 
 receiving their mantle and their lesson. 
Sing, eat, share life with friends, live in this moment, 
turn aside, be awed.

No comments:

Post a Comment